I started by Googling 'snow dying', watched a couple of videos to find out what I needed to do, and then I got started. While my muslin was soaking in the soda ash solution, I prepared a few skeins of crochet cotton and then added them to the soda ash solution too.
While that was soaking, I went outside with a big basin and filled in up with snow.
Bin 1. yellow, fushia, scarlet
Bin 2. yellow, turquoise, blue, green
Bin 3. yellow, blue, green, purple
These first images show the snow covered with the procion MX dye powder, most of which has quickly dissolved into the snow.
You're supposed to cover it and leave it for 24 hours, but you know I couldn't do that. ;o)
...So here's what bin 1 and 2 looked like about 30 minutes later (don't know why I forgot bin 3):