Saturday, April 13, 2013

First Attempt at a Painted Portrait...

This week I've been participating in Kat McBride's free online class "Let's Draw and Paint Fabulous Faces".  Kat breaks down the process and makes it very do-able (for someone like me who has never painted a face before!).  The class was intended (I think) to teach us to paint semi-realistic 'beautiful girls' for use in our art journals, etc. but never being one to start easy, I decided to try a self portrait.  Well, I don't see a future in portrait painting, but I had fun.  I seem to have grown a bit of a Jay Leno chin. LOL








I played around in Photoshop to see if I could do away with the extra long chin.  ;o)


I think my next effort will be a more whimsical 'pretty girl'...

10 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job for a first timer! Faces are very hard to get right. Something is always off it seems....Frankly I like the ones that are slightly off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roberta. I agree that slightly 'wonky' faces are fun. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun doing random faces of made up people in my art journalling.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Faygie. Not sure I'd do too much of this, but it'll be great to know how to do a face in my art journalling.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. I must say Kat McBride's lessons really broke things done. Obviously I have a ways to go in doing faces, but I'm please with my first attempt.

      Delete
  4. Self portraits are not at all easy, I think you have done a great job Linda.I actually prefer a bit of realism when it comes to faces, but what really matters is you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've got a long way to go if I want to paint realistic portraits, but I certainly have learned some good tips from Kat.

      Delete
  5. I love the affect you've achieved with your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit. I think I'll stick to more stylized faces in my art journalling and leave portrait painting for someone else. LOL

      Delete

I love to hear what you think . Thanks for your comment .

I've had to add moderation because of a lot of spam, but your message will be posted soon. Thank you!
Linda