The current challenge for my fibre art group, GOE, is 'steampunk'. I don't often pull out my sketchpad to design my fibre art pieces (I tend to work more intuitively and let the pieces lead me where they may), but for this piece I started by designing the steampunk dress on paper. Once I had the drawing of the dress I started gathering my materials and the real fun began.
Thanks to my husband's generosity, I was able to cut into a really old leather jacket that he had finally stopped wearing because of all of the holes he'd worn into it. Although I was reluctant to cut into it (I loved the old worn look of it) I did realize that he was starting to look like a street person when he wore it. LOL The brown bodice of the dress as well as the black band across the background both came from that wonderful jacket. The black part is the cuff, complete with the snap closure. The zipper that finishes the upper edges was also from that jacket. I used little scrapbooking eyelets to be able to lace the bodice of the dress.
Because of the weight of all of the leather, gears and other materials, I actually had to reinforce the back of this piece with a 1"x 2" piece of wood across the width so that it would hang without drooping into itself.